So what are the foundations of a wardrobe? Below I have listed the MUST HAVES for every woman’s wardrobe. These are building blocks. With these, you can mix in new fashion items to create a individual style.
1. A great cami to be paired with jeans or a skirt for a dressier look. You can really choose from a wide variety of colors, shapes or fabrics. A print or a solid can be easily paired with with your favorite pair of jeans and a stunning pair of heels for evening. Or a great or pair of trousers for work. Change the look up by adding a cardigan or blazer.
2. A HOT dress for night time. A unique or funky piece can be worn over and over again! Whatever dress you choose should be something that when you slip it on you feel great! If you are truly limiting your wardrobe to ONE dress I suggest something fairly simple that you can wear with an array of jewelry, shoes, and bags to change the look up. You could also throw a great sequin jacket over top of a simple dress to create more of a cocktail look. Don’t think that your evening dress can never work for day. Depending on the dress, you can throw on a constructed blazer to go to the office.
3. Every woman must have a versatile day time dress. The more simple the dress the easier it will to change the look. You definitely want to stick with a solid here.
4. Great under pinnings are the basis for every wardrobe. They create a smooth silhouette so you will want to avoid overly thick or lumpy fabrics. Think quality, not quantity. You will want basic tanks and a few v-neck and crew neck tees in neutral colors.
5. Pair your basic tops back with a versatile skirt for work or weekend. If you go with a simple skirt you can shake it up with a printed top as well.
6. No wardrobe is complete without jeans and a denim skirt. Again, if you are limited yourself to one of each you will want to opt for a darker wash. It’s more sophisticated and versatile. The denim skirt should be just above the knee. This is appropriate for all ages. The jeans should be straight leg and simple. Denim matches EVERYTHING.
These are your wardrobe basics but ever great wardrobe should include some key accessories like a hot pair of fun heels, a great pair of earrings, a gorgeous clutch, and stunning cuff. You can mix and match these with your wardrobe basics to create new looks.
If you had to get a way with just these items in your wardrobe, it can be done. When adding to this, I suggest thinking about versatility, function, and timelessness. So before you buy ask yourself these three questions:
1. How many of the items in my current wardrobe can I pair this new piece with? If the answer is just one or two, you might look to finding an item that is more versatile. If the piece is a real bargain and you love it, then go for it but make sure your investment pieces are extremely versatile.
2. How functional is this piece? I.E. How often will you be able to wear it.
3. Is this item timeless? Will you be able to wear it for just one season or until the end of time? Save your big investments for pieces you will be able to wear a lifetime. Spend less on items that are “trendy” and will only be in style for a season or two.